Saturday, December 17, 2011

Grama's Secret Strawberry Jam Recipe

Grama's Secret Strawberry Jam Recipe

My husband raves about his grandmother's cooking. She always spoils him with her homemade strawberry jam. He always asks for it and thankfully, she always has it in her freezer for when we go to Michigan to visit. Little does he know, her secret is out! Thank you, Sure Jell, for giving me Grama's recipe! I did call Grama to get some advice on how to make it like she does. If it ain't Grama's, it's not good enough for the husband. I sure hope he likes it. I had fun making it with my son!

Ingredients for Grama's Freezer Jam:
1 pack sure jell
3 cups sugar
4 cups fresh, mashed strawberries (I had about 45-50oz of strawberries)
1 cup water
Freezer-safe containers or freezer-safe mason jars (I used 9 small ones)
*You need patience if you've never canned before*


Directions:
FOLLOW THE SURE JELL INSTRUCTIONS! :)
Here's what I did..
Cut stems off fresh strawberries, rinse, cut into quarters and mash 4 cups worth of strawberries. Leave them mostly whole but macerate them enough to make them mushed and their juices come out. If you like less chunk in your jam, mash away!
By the way, this is Ayden.. my oldest, helping me mash strawberries. He cut all of the stems off and cut/quartered almost all of the strawberries. He was with me the whole time. Believe me, it took a long time to make because I kept reading and re-reading the instructions on how to make the jam and then how to can. Two experiments in one dish. Yikes!
Okay, back on track.
Get a large pot on the stove and add 3 cups sugar and 1 pack sure jell. Stir until thoroughly combined. Add 1 cup water and turn the heat on medium-high. Stir until it boils. Once it comes to a full boil, let it boil for 1 minute then turn the heat off and add the mashed strawberries. Stir like you've never stirred before!
Go ahead now and can the jam or put it in freezer-safe containers. This is good for 3 months in the fridge so that's why it's important to either can or freeze it.
It was tasty!



No comments:

Post a Comment