Thursday, February 9, 2012

Toasted Coconut

Toasted Coconut


Look at how pretty this shredded coconut is. I buy 100% organic shredded coconut at my local health food store because I know I'm getting quality products by buying organic. My bag contains 3.5 cups of shredded, unsweetened coconut and I pay roughly $3.50 or so, so about $1.00 per cup. Coconut contains a lot of healthy fat and can be put on or in anything. I like toasted coconut by the handfuls or on my salads instead of croutons. Come on and get creative! Think outside the coconut shell!

Ingredients:
Organic shredded coconut flakes
9x13 baking dish



Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place coconut in the baking dish and spread out evenly. Coconut has plenty of oil in it already so you do not need to spray your pan.

Tip: Check out your olive oil spray.. notice anything in the ingredients that you don't know how to pronounce? Why is there soy products in there too? Throw that garbage away!



Next, place in the oven and keep a close eye on it. It can burn easily so stay close by. I baked mine approximately 7-9 minutes and I start stirring when it started to turn brown.








Once the coconut has browned like this, remove from oven and let cool in the pan before placing in an airtight container. You'll need to refrigerate it after opening the package anyway. Coconut doesn't last long in this house but I'm sure it would last several weeks in the fridge.










Serve this delicious and healthy fat with any meal or as a snack. Make some quick trail mix with toasted coconut flakes, nuts of choice, any seeds, raisins and dried fruits. Put it in your baked goods. Consume and know that you've made a healthy choice today. Pat yourself on the back. You go, you!


Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment